Have you every wished you had a high quality, on-site HR resource to manage your people issues? If you thought you can’t afford it, think again!
Having a professional HR resource to handle all your people issues is more important than ever in today’s challenging business environment. The growth of HR legislation and the increasingly large penalties for bad practices and non-compliance mean that it is extremely risky to leave HR to non-specialists. Not only is it complex and potentially very expensive when you get it wrong, it also takes a huge amount of time and effort, which managers could more profitably expend developing their core business.
However, many small and medium-sized organisations think that having an HR department will be expensive and take a long time to get up and running before it can make a positive contribution to the business. But nothing could be further from the truth. Outsourcing HR has several clients who require regular, professional HR support, but can’t justify the expense of a full-time HR resource. They solve this dilemma by employing Outsourcing HR on a retained basis to be their outsourced HR department. We work in the clients’ offices on a regular basis designed to ensure an optimum, cost-effective service. Sometimes this is once a week, sometimes once a fortnight, or even once a month, depending upon the clients’ requirements. In this way, our clients get all the benefits of a professional HR department at a fraction of the cost. Outsourcing HR also handles their unforeseen additional needs on an ad-hoc basis.
This is the ideal way for you to acquire a professional and affordable HR resource for your business that is ready to add value from day one.
You’ll get these benefits from an outsourced HR function
You will be assigned your own HR professional that your team will get to know as your “HR department” – and supplemented when they are on holiday by another regular HR professional. Your HR professional can:
- Manage the recruitment of employees. They will schedule interviews to be run by experts and manage the entire process to ensure you recruit only the very best talent every time.
- Carry out effective inductions with all new starters. We’ll help ensure your new recruit feels at home, is confident in his or her role and is able to contribute to your business more quickly.
- Communicate employee-related information to your team, ensuring employees get the information they need throughout the organisation. We’ll make sure that everyone is engaged and motivated to meet the goals of the organisation and has someone to listen to them.
- Assist with those awkward conversations that are invariably put off and can cause minor issues to snowball. You’ll have an expert to address any employee relations (ER) issues in your business.
- Keep records and files up to date and legally compliant, ensuring you don’t fall foul of legislation such as GDPR.
- Identify and address training needs, and, where relevant, carry out the training for you in-house.
The costs to your business of having no professional HR support
A lack of professional HR support often leads to senior managers being diverted from growing the business. They find themselves embroiled in trying to get to grips with the complexities of employment legislation and dealing with people issues. Moreover, getting It wrong can potentially lead to significant costs and fines, as well as damage to your reputation.
Other disadvantages can include:
- You HR practices are likely to be reactive rather than proactive and are unlikely to be helping your ROI or assisting in building a sustainable organisation.
- Negative working relationships can fester without a dedicated, trained person to handle employee relation issues, resolve conflict and restore a positive working relationship.
- Lack of attention to employee satisfaction and determining the causes of employee dissatisfaction, where it exists.
- No one to help the company become an employer of choice and therefore a company that people want to work for.
- Lack of a cohesive work environment, which should be built on wise hiring decisions, sound induction procedures and best practice in performance management processes to support employees and line managers.
- Reduced opportunities for cost control without someone dedicated to looking at ways of trimming workforce and management costs, for example by ensuring the benefits offered are competitive but realistic.
- Lack of HR input into the company’s strategy, with a potential negative impact on employee morale and repercussions that affect every element of the business.
Contact Outsourcing HR to discuss how an outsourced HR function could help your business
For a no-obligation discussion of the benefits of a part-time, in-house “HR Department” and how we can help, please call 07894-546333 or email Margaret Keane.